Friday, July 27, 2012

It takes a village...

Well, my last night in Karpenisi has come.  It is the night of the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games and although I won't be walking into the Olympic Stadium as I had imagined I will be enjoying it on television with great company - Coach, Alekos, his mom, Kuria (Mrs.) Maria, and his girlfriend, Fotini, on a beautiful terrace overlooking Karpenisi.  

The people here have been great, from the manager, George, at the Hotel Montana who lets me hydromassage for free, to the reflexologist, Kurios Spyros, who has taken great care of my feet, the ladies at the local coffee shops who know my order by heart, and in general everybody who has wished me well along the way.  Today a sweet, old grandpa took the time to wish me luck as I was passing in front of him - just like that, out of the blue!  It has been a long road with good days and hard days, super tired days, and "I can conquer the world" days.  All in all it has been another great training period filled with experiences that I'll remember forever.  I've even considered moving to Karpenisi and spending 6 months here during the summer and another 6 months back home in San Francisco, but those are thoughts I'll think about on another day.

For now, I'll take my fond memories with me knowing I have an entire village who's got my back!

Kuria Maria

Fotini

Aleko's freshly caught river fish served with potato
salad, beets, and broad beans.
I sure am going to miss Kuria Maria's cooking!
Me filling up drinking water at the local spring



No comments:

Post a Comment