Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Running Log: Week 1

I am so happy to report that I was successfully able to make it through my first full week of training! Woohoo! Last week, starting Monday, I trained for 6 days straight - something I haven't been able to do since December 2013. I got in a long run of 50 min - also something I haven't done since last December. And, I got in some tempo intervals of 6x800m.

The big takeaway for me at this point is that I was able to get through the training without feeling completely exhausted afterwards. In late October, 5 months after my thyroidectomy and working with my doctors to adjust my Synthroid dose to meet my needs, I finally felt I came out of the woods and could handle life's demands and training again.

The biggest challenge last week, and I'll admit a bit unexpected, was that I wasn't as good about putting the time and focus into the training process that used to be my hallmark. It was as if I had gotten used to giving excuses about not feeling well or being tired or not having a set goal or reason to focus, so I was more lax about everything - which meant that getting in those 6 runs wasn't as easy as I expected it would be.

But now, as I am in the midst of week two, I notice that I am getting my edge back. I still need to work a lot on making time to stretch as much as I need to, to put in the strength work that will pay off in the long run, and to regain my more disciplined nutrition habits, though. But I am confident that as each week builds and I feel stronger, my competitive edge will start clawing at my door again, I'll be able to put the pieces of the complex puzzle of training at a high level together. I'm excited about what my future holds and where this attempt at a "comeback" will take me!

Bring it on Week 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment