Sunday, June 24, 2012

Planting Seeds...

The other day I was invited to speak at the 1st Elementary School of Karpenisi.  It was such an honor to be presented to the class of young, but very bright, kids to talk about becoming an Olympian.  The groundskeeper of the athletic facilities,Serafeim Lerogiannis, arranged the visit.  Serafeim, my coach, Dimitris Theodoridis, and I showed up to the auditorium filled with the kids eager to learn about running - something that is needed in Greece as soccer gets most of the attention and potential stars!  The best part of the morning was feeling that if I could reach out to just one or two kids out of the entire group, there would be a future star in the making and that would be a success.  Competing in the Olympics gives the opportunity to plant those kinds of seeds - yet another amazing stop along the way!

Me with some of the kids.  I know it is hard to pick me out of the crowd -
but I'm the one in the middle with the grey shirt! :)

Me, Coach Dimitris, and Mister Serafeim
On another note, I am amazed at how many people have visited my blog - and literally from all over the world!! My "stats" include over 800 visitors, representing the United States, Greece, Cyprus, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Malta, Canada, Congo, Indonesia, and Trinidad & Tobago!!!  I seriously can't believe it.  Thank you to all for helping spread the word!

1 comment: