Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tina's New Shoes and...Olympic Dream

For starters, I should explain the title of the blog and how it all got started...I am a marathon runner.  I run for Greece - although I am Greek-American.  I have been living in Greece since August of 2003 - I can't believe its been almost 9 years!!  Since moving to Athens I have been running and racing on the local circuit and as one thing led to another and I became more successful, pursuing my childhood dream of competing in the Olympics started to come back to me as a real possibility.  Along the way, though, various injuries and setbacks made it a challenge that seemed evermore enticing yet also one that demanded all of my dedication and patience to accomplish.  In 2010, I ran my first marathon - the Athens Classic Marathon and a celebration of 2500 years from the Battle of Marathon where the underdog Greeks beat the mighty and powerful Persians in an epic battle that allowed the idea of democracy to flourish to this day.

On October 31, 2010, as I battled through the grueling hills of the classic marathon course I managed to finish in 2:40:33!  It is the second best time ever run by a Greek woman on the course and coincidentally an Olympic 'B' Standard...except for that it was not run during the eligible period which started January 1, 2011.  With that effort, though, my coach and I were enthused as we thought, "Great, on a flat course and as a more experienced marathoner, I surely will be able qualify for the 2012 Olympics!"  Once again, however, setbacks came with over training and injury throughout 2011, and in an effort that came down to the wire, I ran the Enschede Marathon in the Netherlands on April 22, 2012.  That day I wasn't at my best and neither was the weather - we faced a headwind for about 18km - but I did manage to squeeze out another 'B' standard with 2:41:00!!

To be honest, instead of feeling ecstatic, I felt more relieved.  It had been a long, hard road to that point and I didn't thoroughly appreciate the fruits of my labor.  Looking back now I wish I was able to enjoy the moment more but as I look ahead to London I am doing my best to enjoy the journey - whatever it may bring - and when I toe the line on August 5th I will relish in the moment while I make my family, friends, supporters and compatriots proud.  

Now, to the title of my blog...After the Athens marathon and again after my qualifying effort in Enschede, Stamatis Astra and Ted Dimitriades from a Greek-American radio show in Boston called me for an interview.  They have been great in encouraging me and giving me publicity to make my efforts more widely supported.  During the interview in April, Ted asked me about the economic situation in Greece and how athletes are managing economically.  I gave him an honest answer and explained that things truly are dire.  Any financial support that we are supposed to receive from the Greek Athletics Federation or our club teams is unreliable at best and typically our expenses are out of our own pockets, relying on support from friends and family when things get truly tight.  Ted then says, "So you don't have money to buy sneakers??" (By the way, I love the fact that he calls my running shoes 'sneakers'.)  I answer, "Well I have to buy 2 pair unexpectedly because my sponsor has been unresponsive for the past year, so it is a crunch."  Stamati then says, "Go out and buy your sneakers.  We'll cover them!"  Shortly after we wrapped up the phone interview, Stamatis texts me to tell me that a couple of truly amazing listeners called and wanted to donate to my effort to buy shoes and to cover other costs such as training camps, medical expenses, massages, vitamins, travel expenses, etc.  So we thought it would be a nice idea to create a blog to post my progress as we head to London - race day is in just under 2 months - and let people follow along with me and see where their generous donations are going

And so the journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment