Friday, July 13, 2012

Me and the Cricket

This is one of my favorite videos that Coach Dimitris captured of me running on one of my longer runs here in Karpenisi.  It is quintessential of my marathon training and the lonely road that marathoners all over the world and of all levels have.  Getting out for the long run and feeling like its just you...and the cricket.  Despite the loneliness, it is a nice time to think about the day, your goals, to tell yourself positive affirmations, or just to let your mind quiet down and your body run free.

Watching this video reminds me of my best friend Rose.  We have been friends since my freshman year at USC in 1995.  We ran track and cross-country together, and although neither of us was particularly fast we enjoyed the training and camaraderie that running with the team brought.  After she graduated (she was a year older than me), she started training for and running marathons, while working as a teacher and attending grad school.  I remember thinking she was "crazy"!  Her dedication with her training, waking up at the crack of dawn to get her workouts done, and her passion to pursue her goals while balancing everything was awe-inspiring.  I am so proud and happy to say I was at her first marathon (even though I slept in the car after the 7am start) and saw her cross the line, and despite the tiredness that comes with any marathon she looked like a million bucks.  It was really a defining moment for me to see how her dedication and passion paid off.

As time has passed she turned her focus to having a family and in the process I have since become the "crazy" one!  Now she is the one cheering me on.  She's even flown out twice to Greece to see me train and we had the chance to enjoy the 2004 Athens Olympics together.  Although she won't be able to make it to London, I know she will be by the TV watching me with her little girls and rooting for me every step of the way.

Rosie, thank you for your friendship over the years and for all of your support!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina! It's Marissa...one of Rose's twin cousins. She's just told me the good news. You know we'll be looking out for you on tv. Congratulations!! We're so excited for you. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa!

    Thanks so much for cheering me on!! When I get back we'll arrange a celebratory dinner with Rose and hopefully you can join us!

    ReplyDelete